The weeks keep rolling by, and sometimes it feels like they are flying… other times it feels like they are creeping. Some of the things that make the week creep by are my pregnancy symptoms which include nausea, congestion, sore boobs, moderate to severe back pain, and acne (so much for the pregnancy “glow”).
One of the things that helps the weeks fly by is sharing the news with loved ones. In fact, other than getting the ultrasound, this has been my favorite part. Watching each new person’s reaction is so exciting – it actually gives me an adrenaline rush right before we know we are going to do it. Watching the joy that comes over their faces is priceless, and I can only imagine that the next best thing is seeing their faces when they hold the nugget for the first time. Here is a list of my favorite reactions thus far:
- Ellie: we told her last Tuesday right after we toured the birthing center in Chapel Hill. She had been singing with the Lorelei’s at Sup Dog’s, and when I explained why we were late, she screamed “ARE YOU F****** SERIOUS??!! THAT TOOK NO TIME AT ALL!!!” Followed by tears of joy and lots of laughter.
- Michele: we facetimed my mom yesterday and I started the conversation by showing her the bookshelves that we moved out of the office to make room in the nursery. I then showed her the paint swatches we were looking at for that room. She had no idea I was about to tell her we were making it a nursery, until I panned over and showed her a shot of baby hats that Nick’s mom gave us. She freaked out and said “FLIP THE CAMERA BACK AROUND!!” When she saw my smile she knew what I was trying to tell her, and her face was priceless.
- Ken: I called my dad on 9/11 to tell him that I wanted him to have a safe flight home to Charlotte. I decided to slip this in there too. I said, “Daddy, just in case something goes wrong, I wanted to share some news with you… You’re going to be a Peepaw!” He said, “What?” I said, “You’re going to be a Grandpa!” He said, “Why?!” I started laughing and said, “I’m pregnant, duh!” He was silent for a few seconds as it began to click… and then said, “Cool beans!” He obviously called me back when his plane landed and the news had absorbed – he is super pumped to be Peepaw!
- Emma: We had been trying to facetime Emma all evening, and had to wait until she got home from a sushi dinner (I was super jealous that she could eat sushi). When we got her on the phone, we told her we had something to show her, and put the ultrasound picture up to the screen. Her mouth was wide open and she started laughing, and said something to the effect of “that was quick!” which has been the general consensus. She is definitely excited to be Aunt Em.
- Charlotte & Mark: we had gone over to their house to give them a quiche I made, and Charo asked if there was any juicy gossip at work. Nick said, “Well, there is one piece of gossip…” and I said, “its not gossip, its true!” Charo immediately said, “Oh my god, are you pregnant?!!” She was so sweet and offered to help watch the baby whenever we needed… as long as we waited until it was a little older and not “wibbly wobbly” anymore, haha!
- James & Shanna: I liked this one more because of how it happened, and the fact that Shanna jumped up and down for us. James asked me at Hopscotch when we were having kids and gave me a very “smirkish” face as he said it… and I said, “Pretty soon we think… it’s in the works” (knowing full well I would have to tell them the truth). A few minutes later I got the two of them alone and said, “the answer to the question you asked me earlier is April.” I could see James doing the math in his head, and Shanna was bouncing up and down with a huge smile on her face. It was hilarious!
- Katy Banks: my dear friend Katy had asked me during the first week of me being pregnant if we were pregnant yet (I had told her at Roofers that we were trying) and had to answer her question by playing it off. I decided to tell her this week, and she was hysterical over G chat. The best part was that I got to tell her that she was right the first time! She was so sweet and told me we were going to be great parents, which is such a wonderful compliment to hear, and then hearing from other dear friends Chris and Haley made my day as well.
- Greg & Laurie: we told them on the way to a winery (sort of unavoidable with the alcohol situation) and since we were in the car when we spilled the beans, the two of them were mostly just laughing! We had told them we were trying and the fact that we only had to try for a few weeks was the funny part. They are obviously thrilled to be grandparents.
If my list included 9 people my brothers would be on there – however they had me figured out the day I found out I was pregnant because we were all in Boone together and I wasn’t drinking. They were excited nonetheless, just more concerned with me not drinking than with me being pregnant – haha!